Friday, December 3, 2010

Blue Velvet

Directed by: David Lynch
Screenplay by: David Lynch
Cinematography by: Frederick Elmes
Year: 1986




 

I don't think I can offer much insight into the true intentions of David Lynch (really, who can?) But of the films I've seen: Dune, Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive, I'd say I'd place this one ahead of Dune, but behind Eraserhead and Mullholland Drive. 

Yeah, Dennis Hopper brilliantly rides the line between being a horrifying sociopath and hilariously loopy beatnik. I can't even tell you the intense belly laugh I gave out when Hopper exclaims "Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!" But in my opinion, the greatest and truly most unsettling moment in the film has got to be Dean Stockwell's moment; his character is so much more of a mystery than Frank Booth (Hopper). The worklight serenade is just 100% pure David Lynch imagery; the lighting and music is haunting and yet utterly compelling. 

Most people may be shocked by the "Daddy wants to fuck" dry-humping scene, but it just doesn't stick in my mind nearly as long as that scene in the fucked up apartment with all the silent, fat women sitting around in the background. You see, it's my imagination getting the best of me, I guess, and that is what Lynch does best: fuck with our subconscious, our imagination. He just gives us a glimmer into the darkness below the surface (as the theme of the film would suggest) and lets you fill in the blanks with your own fears and thoughts.

4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment